Monday, June 15, 2009

Mentorship

Being bossy is one thing, but being looked upto is another ball game. Kinda makes me shaky. Maybe these are fears of a newbie or it's just me. There are a few in my team who look upto me (not boasting here!) and who ask me questions they genuinely feel I have answers to. Even if I have answers to their questions, I feel shaky giving them advise. I fear misguiding them. Here's my two bits on what I follow:

- Never give the wrong advise. If you're unsure, let them know that you don't know and you'll get back. Make sure you get back with the right info. Don't let the person's question go unanswered.

- You're the boss, doesn't mean you're right. You could be wrong. Accept it.

- Reportees are like kids. All the good experiences aside, they'll remember that one bad experience with you. That one time when you were rude, that one time when you didn't live up to your expectations. Be nice :)

What say Lee?

1 comment:

  1. I think the rules of the game has evolved over time. Being bossy won't get the 'boss' anywhere, especially in a corporate sector.

    And yes, at times honesty relates much better to the team than a 'know it all'.

    I've had people tell me time and again that I was good as their manager, but strangely I find it hard to accept/believe.

    As for the answers, I always encourage a healthy debate as long as it doesn't get personal. Yeh at times you are right and times when you are wrong... it's about learning ain't it. Boss or not.

    ReplyDelete

 
http://managerialmumbojumbo.blogspot.com/